Choice Outstanding Academic Title, 2000
“Massive and marvelous synthesis…The editors and contributors deserve high praise for this achievement.”
“An elegantly produced and up-to-date reference work of high scholarly quality.”
“A great resource…The book covers a wide range of topics within the history of Islam in Africa: everything you always wanted to know about the subject but were afraid to ask.”
“The text is a welcome and much-needed addition to any library and the editors and contributing authors should be commended for their work.”
The history of the Islamic faith on the continent of Africa spans fourteen centuries. For the first time in a single volume, The History of Islam in Africa presents a detailed historic mapping of the cultural, political, geographic, and religious past of this significant presence on a continent-wide scale. Bringing together two dozen leading scholars, this comprehensive work treats the historical development of the religion in each major region and examines its effects.
Without assuming prior knowledge of the subject on the part of its readers, The History of Islam in Africa is broken down into discrete areas, each devoted to a particular place or theme and each written by experts in that particular arena. The introductory chapters examine the principal “gateways” from abroad through which Islam traditionally has influenced Africans. The following two parts present overviews of Islamic history in West Africa and the Sudanic zone, and in subequatorial Africa. In the final section, the authors discuss important themes that have had an impact on Muslim communities in Africa.
Designed as both a reference and a text, The History of Islam in Africa will be an essential tool for libraries, scholars, and students of this growing field.
Contributors: Edward A. Alpers, René A. Bravmann, Abdin Chande, Eric Charry, Allan Christelow, Roberta Ann Dunbar, Kenneth W. Harrow, Lansiné Kaba, Lidwien Kapteijns, Nehemia Levtzion, William F. S. Miles, David Owusu-Ansah, M. N. Pearson, Randall L. Pouwels, Stefan Reichmuth, David Robinson, Peter von Sivers, Robert C.-H. Shell, Jay Spaulding, David C. Sperling with Jose H. Kagabo, Jean-Louis Triaud, Knut S. Vikør, John O. Voll, and Ivor Wilks
Nehemia Levtzion was a director with the Council for Higher Education in Israel and was a professor of history at the Hebrew University.
Randall L. Pouwels is a professor of African history at the University of Central Arkansas.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Patterns of Islamization and Varieties of Religious Experience among Muslims of Africa
Nehemia Levtzion and Randall L. Pouwels
- Part I: Gateways to Africa
- 1. Egypt and North Africa
Peter von Sivers
- 2. The Indian Ocean and the Red Sea
M. N. Pearson
- Part II: West Africa and the Sudan
- 3. Islam in the Bilad al-Sudan to 1800
- 4. The Juula and the Expansion of Islam into the Forest
- 5. Precolonial Islam in the Eastern Sudan
- 6. Revolutions in the Western Sudan
- 7. The Eastern Sudan, 1822 to the Present
John O. Voll
- 8. Islam in Africa under French Colonial Rule
- 9. Islam in West Africa: Radicalism and the New Ethic of Disagreement, 1960–1990
- 10. Religious Pluralisms in Northern Nigeria
William F. S. Miles
- Part III: Eastern and Southern Africa
- 11. Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa
- 12. The East African Coast, c. 780 to 1900 c.e.
Randall L. Pouwels
- 13. The Coastal Hinterland and Interior of East Africa
David C. Sperling, with additional material by Jose H. Kagabo
- 14. East Central Africa
Edward A. Alpers
- 15. Islam in Southern Africa, 1652–1998
Robert C.-H. Shell
- 16. Radicalism and Reform in East Africa
- Part IV: General Themes
- 17. Islamic Law in Africa
- 18. Muslim Women in African History
Roberta Ann Dunbar
- 19. Islamic Education and Scholarship in Sub-Saharan Africa
- 20. Sufi Brotherhoods in Africa
Knut S. Vikør
- 21. Prayer, Amulets, and Healing
- 22. Islamic Art and Material Culture in Africa
René A. Bravmann
- 23. Islamic Literature in Africa
Kenneth W. Harrow
- 24. Music and Islam in Sub-Saharan Africa
Order a print copyPaperback · $27.96 · Add to Cart
$34.95 · Save 20% ($27.96)
$75.00 · Save 20% ($60)
Download an electronic copyAmazon Kindle Store Barnes & Noble NOOK Google Play iBooks Store
Availability and price vary according to vendor.
RequestsDesk copy Examination copy Review copy
- Permission to reprint
- Permission to photocopy or include in a course pack via Copyright Clearance Center
Downloads & Links
- Table of Contents
- Introduction: “Patterns of Islamization and Varieties of Religious Experience among Muslims of Africa” (N. Levtzion and R. L. Pouwels)
Related SubjectsAfrican Studies · Religion · History · Monograph · Islam · Africa
Retail price: $34.95, S.
Release date: Mar. 2000
640 pages · 7 × 10 in.
Retail price: $75.00, S.
Release date: Mar. 2000
Release date: Mar. 2000