Submitting a Book Proposal
We request that you not submit your complete manuscript unless an editor has invited you to do so.
Your proposal should include a cover letter that includes a narrative description (2–4 typescript pages) of the proposed book’s content and scope. It should answer the following questions:
- What is the rationale for publishing by the Ohio University Press?
- What is the contribution of your proposed book to the field?
- How does it engage with the extant literature or fill a gap in that literature?
- What are three competing books in the field? How does your work compare with other literature on the subject?
- What distinguishes your work from these works?
- To what audience is your work addressed?
- Is the book under consideration with another press?
- Has any portion of the book been previously published? If so, where?
- Is this book based on a dissertation? If so, is it under embargo?
Your proposal should also include:
- A table of contents
- A sample chapter, or two
- The anticipated length of the manuscript
- The anticipated date of completion (if still a work-in-progress)
- An up-to-date copy of your curriculum vitae
Please send submissions to editor in chief Rick Huard at [email protected].